Serres, the capital, is a modern, bustling city, with broad streets and open squares.
The new town blends pleasantly with the old. In its northern sector, on the
piney hill of Koula, the ruins of the ancient acropolis and the Byzantine
castle bear witness to a history stretching from the depths of time.
also a 14th century church here, dedicated to St. Nicholas with beautiful
mosaics. At a distance of 12 kilometres, in a gorge stands the monastery of
Timios Prodromos (1270 A.D.) with frescoes of various eras. More antiquities
are to be found at Amfipolis, 62 kilometres from Seres, once an Athenian
colony, founded in 437 B.C.. Outside the village, near the bridge over the
Strimon river, the famous Lion of Amfipolis was discovered, a 4th century
B.C. funerary sculpture. The pieces were reassembled and now the Lion guards
near the Bulgarian border, is a pretty town built on the banks
of the Kroussovitis river. It took its name (Iron Castle) from
the stronghold on the imposing rock, 155 m. above it, that
once offered sure protection. The town and the surrounding
area are almost overwhelmed by greenery and richly endowed
with streams, waterfalls, bridges, churches and monasteries.
>> Macedonia :